Calleva House • 6 High Street • Wallingford • Oxfordshire OX10 0BP
Tel: 44 (01491) 836284 • Fax: 44 (01491) 833443
A Pair of 19th Century Townley Vases
A Pair of 19th Century Townley Vases made in bronze and slate. Circa 1880. (Some small chips on slate base). 15" (38cm) high x 6" (15cm) wide including base.
The Townley Vase is a large Roman marble vase of the 2nd century CE, discovered in 1773 by the Scottish antiquarian and dealer in antiquities Gavin Hamilton in excavating a Roman villa at Monte Cagnolo, between Genzano and Civita Lavinia, near the ancient Lanuvium, in Lazio, southeast of Rome. The ovoid vase has volute handles in the manner of a pottery krater. It is carved with a deep frieze in bas-relief, occupying most of the body, illustrating a Bacchanalian procession. Its name comes from the English collector Charles Townley, who purchased it from Hamilton in 1774 for £250. Townley's collection, long on display in his London house in Park Street, was bought for the British Museum after his death in 1805.
We deliver personally to Berkshire, Buckinghamshire and Oxfordshire.